Monday, December 12, 2005

filemot

"My gaze is focused on the mouldering mosses of the soul." -Flaubert via Mario Vargas Llosa The Perpetual Orgy

also from Llosa's book, on Flaubert: "...he got himself a 'bellyful of colors' in the Orient- contracted syphilis, began to lose his hair, and approached his thirtieth birthday."


and my sentence:

I adore the arbor with its ardous boughs entertwined; and its shadows thrown below.

Yesterday I finished reading Flaubert's Memoirs of a Madman (which included Biliomania). Its a very early work and is quite influenced by the Symbolist style. Mostly internal and very much focused on one image- of a love object. Although this theme will be the same in Madame Bovary, his approach of objectivity is not present in Memoirs. Bibliomania a very short and strange tale. Similar to the stories in Sa-Carneiro which I had read a month earlier.