Wednesday, August 16, 2006

incunabula


















I'm back. I know I was going to stay away longer, but it has been a month. Mostly I didn't want to try to think of something to say every day. Maybe if I post a couple times a week; and more if my mood is willing.

I was inspired by 2nd Entry's camping trip. Reminded me of when I used to on botany fieldtrips and so I included some pictures I took when I went to the White Mountains (Eastern Sierra Nevadas), one of the few homes of Pinus longaeva- maybe the oldest species of living trees. They can live up over 3,000 yrs old. In fact, there is a tree reputed to be older than that age somewhere up there. That means that tree was already 1,000 years old when so-called Christ (or someone who fit that description and demeanor) walked the Earth. Kind of makes you think we should do something about global warming, huh?

So what have I been up to: I've been reading a very challenging book by Witkiewicz, Insatiability, written by Polish writer during the space of the two World Wars. The basic plotline is a young baron's coming of age story. However, a lot of ideas about art, politics and life get tossed in. Witkiewicz was one of the esteemed Polish Modernist writers, and he also had a foot in the Surrealist camp. As in this novel, he expressed much anxiety. I will write a more inclusive review when I complete reading it.

Things I would like to do with blog: continue with the documentation of my psychogeographic activities (or flâneur's reveries), and book reviews. I would also like to present mini-biographies of famous pianists- since many have strange lives and there's not many places to find that info. Also more pictures, and word experiments. We'll see how it goes.

The last note for today. There a thought someone who had been a friend of mine had written to me: "it would make me happy to know someday that you feltso much security inside that you didn't need to do any of it, that you could be strong alone, that your priorities could be your own and not someone elses." I thought about this a lot. And now I know how one arrives at that point of strength. One must feel that there are others in the world that care and want you to embody that strength. These are friends and lovers who value you as a person and will try to understand who you are, how you are feeling and what you need. You don't simply serve for some purpose for them, to be tossed away after use. They appreciate the uniqueness you bring to their lives. No action needs to be premeditated; there are no unbendable rules of engagement. There only needs to be openness, and willingness to give and the ability to trust. One of many things I've learned, if I cannot trust someone, I should not try to be in a relationship with them. None of us exist as discrete islands; we are only as good as how well we treat other people.

Ok- enough from me- "hi~"