Friday, September 08, 2006

Doraemon!








"Doraemon is a cat like hamburger" This was a quote on a Doraemon puzzle I had hanging in my bathroom for a while when I lived in my previous residence. It could be interpretated many ways- in fact, I think something was lost in translation. A co-worker picked it up somewhere in Asia. I grew up with the Doraemon image, my brother & I had Doraemon toys, stuffies, pencil boxes, chopsticks, manga and ad infinitum. It's one of my few pleasant childhood memories, and I become a bit happier when I see Doraemon. He's been around in Japan since 1970, and has a rather complicated storyline attached to him. Of course, when we were little, my brother and I understood very little of it, but we liked how he looked. He does look rather pleasing with his calm blue color and big rounded shapes. He's so pleasing that his image is everywhere in Asia. And especially in Taiwan. He appears to be the 7-11 representative, because there he is- huge, glowing and friendly blue, on the door, as you walk in. If you want to know more- here's a good Wikipedia article.


The pictures above:
1. Doraemon on the 7-11 door.
2. Doraemon at the night market
3. Doraemon coloring contest
4. Doraemon in plastic