Thursday, September 28, 2006

festschrift





















I sifted through the dusty and donated books seeking a rare festschrift for the great Karimah Bi Ahmad Maruzi compiled by her indebted adherents.


"To Pisa. Pisa lifeless, a dead city silent in the cold grayness of late afternoon and the just-before snow feeling and the hooves of the horses on flat cobblestones and the mud-colored Arno and along a street and no sidewalk and no pedestrians. Clear and empty and frozen. The leaning tower. Like a soul that has been hurt by love. And so on foot together towards Florence." - Harry Crosby Shadows of the Sun



How I spend some of my Wednesday nights.

As Sartre pursues pussy, I seek books. And there were over a ¼ million of them at the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library's 42nd Annual Big Book Sale. Oh the bibliomania of it all! I found books on a number of my interested subjects: Vienna, natural history, essays, mammals, and etc. Now I need to try to read them all. If I read a book and a half a week- that comes to about 78 book a year- I might be able to pull it off since I don't think I have ever bought more than 30 books a year…I don't think. Then again, I may be in denial…..(and then there is the library, in fact, the last 4 book I've read I had checked out from the library). The sale wasn't as madhouse as I though it would be. And since it was also a reception/preview party for members, they were doling out the wine and cheese. I did not partake of the cheese and snacks, but you know I drank some wine. Book browsing and wine drinking, what an ecstatic and dangerous activity!