Monday, October 02, 2006

somnific



Finally, the sun emerges from its somnific gray cloudy bed.

August 3. S. depresses me. If only women realized the charm of being chaste- how chasteness is almost as important as beauty and how it is the axle of the wheel of beauty.

4. In the boat two miles straight out to sea, and the sea entered my soul silver-green and the sun is the gate to Infinity; and I read in the Bible: "Seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten" and I drank a cocktail with the girl of the white polo coat and she had a charming way of using her hands when she talks (and when she….?)

6. Paris. As the little waif in the park-bench scene in Liliom, or kneeling (mystical) in gold armour (physical) in Jehanne d'Arc?

8. Champagne and Orchids.

9. And to the Saint Lazare to say goodbye to Little Nubile and "on est si peu de chose devant l'immensité du monde" and I go to A's and "il y a un monsieur qui dort" (if only we all could dort always) and I hate summers in France. I drink a whiskey and all is desolution (letter in gray).

~ Harry Crosby Shadows of the Sun