Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Chastushka

Thoughts on traveling- or in particular, on this journey.

Although I took a near 500 pictures, there were at least 250 more that I wished I had taken- My desire to document a moment maybe considered a form of madness?

I did not take notes as I promised myself I would before I left. In fact, I hardly wrote anything at all and to reconstruct this whole trip will be have to be based on memory. It's a good thing that my memory is fairly accurate.

Spending every waking hour with someone for more than a few days, in this case ten days, is difficult for me. But its good practice.

I really like Europe. It felt a lot less anxious and less stressful than the US. It appears that Europeans are more relaxed and that people are more interested in living their lives than becoming a product. In the States, it seems like many people are about their "project", what they are "doing" with themselves. In Europe, it felt that people were more interested in life and the interaction with each other. Yes, the people I met have their projects too, but simply enjoying life, eating, conversing, etc. is valued as well. Maybe the grass just looks greener on the other side?

There are a few things I appreciate about the Bay Area though: the air quality is better, there is less invasive cigarette smoke, and recycling is compulsive.

I'm not a big fan of French food, but I like Spanish food, especially Pinchos with Txakoli (ok it's really Spanish Basque- but still in Spain). Muy yum!

pictures:
1. in front of the museum (Burt and Ernie go to Valencia?)

2. A DNA sculpture in the museum