Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Laryngitis


























Since Sunday, I have been without a voice; one of the results of my illness last Thursday. This voice lack has created some interesting responses from people, as I am lucky to be witness to some behaviors one usually isn't privy to see.

The first type of response is: when you whisper, some people will whisper back- without even thinking of why you are whispering in the first place. Perhaps they think I'm weird and they're just entertaining me. This is very possible- I do live in the nut-out capital of the world, with people having all sorts of strange and irrational ticks- perhaps people who live here have been conditioned to accommodate all sorts of weird behavior.

The second kind of response is from waitstaff- I have gone out a few times and even ordered tea at Peet's. I write down my order and hand it to the waiter (it's only been men at this point). They nod emphatically to show that they "understand" and they also don't verbalize- as to show their solidarity with me. I find this behavior quite striking- I'm not sure how to interpret this- perhaps those drawn to this industry are more empathetic? I would not draw this conclusion from the service I usually get.

My co-workers have just resorted to teasing me-which is to be expected.

OK- enough of that- I included some pictures of Nantes, France from when I was there in early May 2006. These are pictures of our BIG lunch salad, Insane! And a picture of the sky overhead.
Tonight- off to Chicago and Washington, D.C. No posts for a few days- but I'll be back, with pictures!