Friday, March 03, 2006

Chytridiomycota

[Cioran on England] "The country has not produced, to my knowledge, a single anarchist."

Here's a little excerpt abut Cioran written by Duncan Fallowell:

"As the high priest of cynicism, Cioran raises negativity to the most positive of virtues. He writes like a Nietzsche streamlined by Cocteau in the 1930s and given a flick knife by Camus in the 1950s. Cioran is the only modern philosopher who is also a great writer, turning extreme anguish into supreme elegance."


On another note, last night I started reading Flaubert's Madame Bovary for the third time.
The first time was when I was in high school; the second, while I was in college, now after reading inexcusable amounts (any amount would be inexcusable) of lit-crit, and after reading the wonderfully cogent Llosa book, The Perpetual Orgy that focused on Llosa's own obsession of M. Bovary and how Flaubert's novel changed the literary landscape; I decided to embark on this particular textual voyage once again.

The most striking element I noticed is the cadence of the writing. Granted, I am reading a translation, and I am aware of how much I will lose, but this translation (as mentioned in the intro) maintains much of the cadence. I am drawn into the sentence's rhythm; it alters the measure of my own thoughts. I will have to capture some paragraphs and present them at a later entry……

This weekend: art, Western Naturalists and possibly noise……..