Monday, March 20, 2006

contradistinction

"It is a question here of 'acquired necessities'.Modern man is smothered in these necessities- the television, the fridge, etc.-which render him incapable of living his real life." - On the Current Value of the Functionalist Idea -- A. Jorn




Weekend:

Fri. night I wanted to attend the Pacific Coast Entomology Society meeting, but after 10.5 hrs of work, I could not bear the thought of having to sit through a lecture. So I went home, had wine and read about Alma Mahler instead. Mahler was a tyrant, he discouraged Alma's music aspirations-and saw her as a potential competitor- therefore stifling her talents. But he redeemed himself in the last year of his life, and realized his repression of her.

Sat. I went to the Anarchist Book Fair and later to the SF Garden & Flower show. I wandered around both of these events, watching people and observing two very different spheres of human desires.

And I read.